Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Workers' councils

I've always said - the revolution will be boring. I've probably even begun a blog post here with that line before. I've spent hours this week - on my union branch committee and at the local Labour branch GLC as a co-op party delegate - sitting in meetings. I've even been mugginsed into being my Co-op Party branch treasurer/membership secretary.

I've argued in the past that the Labour party is precisely what workers' councils under capitalism would look like - anything other than a succesful revolution will lead to them being incorporated into everyday life. That, in essence, is the part of the Labour Party that is worth supporting. Parliament and the executive should be seen in institutional not party terms - i.e. the Prime Minister is an autonomous position which is essencially distinct from the party.

At the meeting we had, at least, a brief report from Frank Dobson on some of his doings, including his response to a resolution we'd previously sent him. Workers' democracy in action?

Anyway, a bit of a debacle: a debate on Palestine was cancelled becuase Labour Friends of Israel's speakers pulled out over a cock up as to whether the meeting was open to the public or not. Maybe I should change my motto to "the revolution will be slightly crap, and is very sorry for it."

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Imposs1904 said...

'I've always said - the revolution will be boring."

As opening lines go, it's not exactly "A frightful hobgoblin stalks throughout Europe.", but I know what you mean. ;-)

10:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I leave all the best lines to you...

11:22 AM  
Blogger Imposs1904 said...

My best lines are in the distant past.

I'm left with a blog overwhelmed with pictures, one line links and punning titles.

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I've always said "Boredom is counter-revolutionary." Though I can't take the credit for it unfortunately.

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home