Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A new dawn

I was sat in t'pub t'other night, minding my own business, reading Robert Service's biography of Trotsky - to review it for the standard.

This emo-ish lad came over to me, and asked what I was reading. I showed him the cover, and awaited his opinion on Trotsky:

"Who's that?" asked he. I was taken aback, the lad had never heard of the leader of the Russian revolution.

The kid went on to tell me (he was slaughtered) that he was part of some sort of Youth Council for London, and knew how to solve all of Britain's problems (credit, you see, take all the money away, divide it up, and then issue credit - pull out of world trade for a while to do this, and stop immigration - by the latter point I stopped humouring him and started laying in on how daft he was, and he beat a slight retreat. I am every bit as much of an arguing machine as Trotsky was).

Anyway, his ignorance aside, I think it's a good thing this kid knew not of Trotsky. Perhaps there is hope.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Phil said...

I knew there were Social Credit sympathisers on the deepish red-green scene (well, there's Frances Hutchinson) - but I had no idea they had a youth wing. Someone should investigate! (Not me, obviously, I'm busy.)

4:06 PM  
Blogger Geist Bites said...

Trotsky looked well like Walter Benjamin.

A coincidence- I think not!

trustyourtechnolust.blogspot.com

3:05 PM  
Blogger marukusuboy said...

I'm looking forward to the review. Have you considered also reviewing the Trotskyists' review of the book. The ones I have read have pointed out various errors, and I am curious if any of the errors are significant or if they are just desperate nitpicking?
Mike

12:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Bill

I think it was Marx who said "Ignorance never helped anyone". The fact that our Emo friend had not heard of Trotsky is cause for considerable concern, and not something to trivilize.

Dave Flynn

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Tychy said...

wasn't he that guy who was killed with an ice pick?

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home